Astakhov Evgeny Mikhailovich - PhD in History (kandidat nauk), Professor at the Department of Diplomacy, MGIMO - University
The article analyzes different aspects of the "soft power" of Russia. The author affirms that in this field the country doesn't have well defined strategies policy. To Russia has the excellent potential for the promotion of its positive image. This potential is primarily due to the famous Russian science, literature, music and art. But this "natural"potential has to be used in the national interests abroad. In recent years the Russian government has made some important steps in cultural diplomacy, in particular for the promotion of Russian language and supporting Russian Diaspora. However, much more has to be done not only in these directions, but also in propaganda and counterpropaganda to meet information pressure against Russia. In this connection, to form properly all directions of the policy of "soft power", is desirable to use the experience of other countries. The states who pretend to have an important place in the world, consider "soft power" as a strategic policy aiming to strengthen their geopolitical positions. In this context the author offers some suggestions concerning different organizational aspects. Special attention is given to the coordination
of the activities of all structures involved in the policy of "soft power ".
Key words: "Soft power", "hard power", national image, cultural diplomacy, informational technology, coordinating mechanism, diaspora, propaganda, geopolitic, public diplomacy.
1. Arndt R. The first Resort of Kings: American Cultural Diplomacy in the Twentieth Century. Washington, D.C.Potomac Books, 2007. 608 p.
2. Brown S. Sila v instrumentarii sovremennoi diplomatii [Power in toolkit of modern diplomacy]. Mejdunarodnii protsesi, 2004, vol. 2, no.2, pp. 4-20.
3. "Foreign Policy", July/August 2001.
4. Konstantinova N.S., Martinov B.F. Imidg Rossii v Brasilii: Ukorenivshiesia stereotipi i factori optimizatsii. Analiticheskie tetradi ILA RAN. [Image of Russia in Brasil: old stereotypes and factors of optimization. Institute of Latin American Academy of Sciences analytical notebook]. Iss. 20. Moscow, ILA RAN Publ., 2008. 88 p.
5. Larin D.A. Tcherni cabinet MID Rossii protiv Napoleona [Black cabinet of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs against Napoleon]. Vestnik MGIMO-Universiteta, no.5(26), 2012, pp.74-80.
6. Noya Javier. Diplomacia publica para el siglo XXI. Editorial Ariel. Barcelona, 2007. 469 p.
7. Nye J. Bound to lead the changing nature of American Power. N.Y., 1990. 336 p.
8. Nye J. Soft Power: The Means To Success In World Politics. N.Y., 2004. 240 p.
9. Rossiyskie posolstva za rubezhom. Ocherki istorii diplomaticheskih otnoshenii [Russian embassies abroad. Essaies of the history of diplomatic relations]. Moscow, MGIMO-Universitet Publ., 2010. 360 p.
10. Hirdman S. Russia’s Role in Europe. Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, 2006. 19 p. (Russ. ed.: Hirdman S. Rol Rossii v Evrope. Moscovski centr Carnegie. Moscow, Evropa Publ., 2006. 19 p.)
11. Vedrin Н., Moisi D. France in an Age of Globalization. Brookings Institution Press, 2001. 160 p.
12. Innokentii Adiasov: Vozmozhna li rossiiskaia "miagkaia sila"? [Innokentii Adiasov: Can the Russian "soft power" be possible?] REGNUM Information agency. 30.05.2012. Available at: www.regnum.ru/news/polit/1536886.html (accessed 13.02.2014).
13. Ukaz Prezidenta RF ot 12 marta 1996 g. N 375 "O koordiniruiushchei roli Ministerstva inostrannykh del Rossiiskoi Federatsii v provedenii edinoi vneshnepoliticheskoi linii Rossiiskoi Federatsii" [Presidential Decree of March 12, 1996 N 375 "On the coordinating role of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation in ewxecuting a single foreign policy of the Russian Federation"] Website of the Russian Foreign Ministry Mission in Blagoveshensk. March 12, 1996. Available at: http://www.blag.mid.ru/pravo_03.htm (accessed 13.02.2014) (In Russian).
14. Ukaz Prezidenta RF ot 8 noiabria 2011 g. N 1478 "O koordiniruiushchei roli Ministerstva inostrannykh del Rossiiskoi Federatsii v provedenii edinoi vneshnepoliticheskoi linii Rossiiskoi Federatsii" [Presidential Decree of November 8, 2011 N 1478 "On the coordinating role of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation in a single foreign policy of the Russian Federation"]. Official site of the President of Russia. 8 November 2011. Available at: http://text.document.kremlin.ru/SESSION/PILOT/main.htm (accessed 13.02.2014) (In Russian).