Elena S. Zinovieva – PhD in political science, associate professor at the Department of World Politics, MGIMO-University. 76, Prospect Vernadskogo Moscow, Russia, 119454. E-mail: email@example.com.
The development of science and technology, in particular information and communication technologies, has a significant impact on world political processes. It strengthens globalization and interdependence, expands the number of actors in world politics by strengthening the capabilities of non-state actors, it transforms national sovereignty, and also leads to the emergence of new, high-tech challenges and threats to international and national security. Due to their transnational nature overcoming these challenges and threats implies cooperation between different types of actors in world politics. Multiplicity of actors, as well as the complexity, variability and pervasive nature of the subject of cooperation (technology), make traditional rationalist schools of thought not quite suitable for studying this sphere of world politics. On the basis of a critical review of the prevailing approaches to the study of science and technology in international relations, the author argues that the most promising theoretical school of thought in this field is social constructivism. It shows that technology is embedded in social relations, there is a constitutive relationship between technology and social structures. Therefore, the characteristics and implementation of technology can become the subject of political competition, including the international level. The spread of technology leads to the globalization of social structures and relations that are tied to them, which initially had a local origin. Naturally, this process is accompanied by political rivalry, generating resistance from agents of alternative social structures.
As a case study to evaluate the analytical potential of this approach, the article deals with the issues of Internet governance and international information security. It is shown that since the creation of the Internet, its characteristics and governance were largely determined by the national interests of the United States, resulting in a public-private governance model in the form of ICANN. Due to the proliferation of the Internet, its technological features and characteristics of the established governance model influence policies and practices of international relations in the field of information and communication technologies. Multi-level cooperation formats have spread within the UN, bringing together representatives of states, business, civil society and the research community. First of all, it is the Internet Governance Forum created in 2006. However, such models of international cooperation do not fully correspond to the remaining statist characteristics of the modern international system, as a result they undergo adjustment. Thus, in the field of information security, non-state actors have only consulting powers, while the key format of interaction remains intergovernmental cooperation. It seems that the global regime of Internet governance is developing in this direction.
Key words: international cooperation, international relations theory, science and technology, international information security, internet governance
1. Baluyev D.G. Informatsionnaya revolyutsiya i sovremennyye mezhdunarodnyye otnosheniya [Information revolution and modern international relations]. Nizhniy Novgorod, 2001. 108 p. (In Russian).
2. Bell D. Gryadushcheye postindustrial'noye obshchestvo: opyt sotsial'nogo prognozirovaniya [The coming post-industrial society: the experience of social forecasting]. Moscow: Academia, 1999. 788 p. (In Russian).
3. Glaz'yev S.Yu. Uroki sovremennoy revolyutsii: krakh liberal'noy utopii i shans na «ekonomicheskoye chudo» [The lessons of the modern revolution: the collapse of liberal utopia and the chance for an “economic miracle”]. Moscow: «Ekonomicheskaya gazeta», 2011. 330 p. (In Russian).
4. Kashlev Yu.B. Informatsionnyy vzryv: mezhdunarodnyy aspect [Information explosion: an international aspect]. Moscow: Mezhdunarodnyye otnosheniya, 1988. 208 p. (In Russian).
5. Krutskikh A.V., Zinov'yeva Ye.S. Informatizatsiya i makrotekhnologii. Novoye litso mirovoy politiki [Informatization and macrotechnology. The new face of world politics.]. Mezhdunarodnyye protsessy. 2014, vol. 12, no. 1-2, pp. 20-32. (In Russian).
6. Liotar ZH.F. Sostoyaniye postmoderna [The state of the postmodern]. Moscow: «Institut eksperimental'noy sotsiologii», 1998. 168 p. (In Russian).
7. Peskov D.N. Internet v mirovoy politike: formy i vyzovy [Internet in world politics: forms and challenges] in Sovremennyye mezhdunarodnyye otnosheniya i mirovaya politika [Modern international relations and world politics] Ed. by A.V. Torkunov. Moscow: Prosveshcheniye, 2004. Pp. 155-172 (In Russian).
8. Shvab K. Chetvertaya promyshlennaya revolyutsiya [The Fourth Industrial Revolution]. Moscow: EKSMO, 2017. 208 p. (In Russian).
9. Carr M. Power Plays in Global Internet Governance. Millennium-Journal of International Studies. 2015, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 640-659.
10. Gerring J. What is a case study and what is it good for? American political science review. 2004, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 341-354.
11. Haas P. Epistemic Communities and International-Policy Coordination – Introduction. International Organization. 1992, no. 46 (1), pp. 1-35.
12. Herrera G. L. Technology and international systems. Millennium-Journal of International Studies. 2003, no. 3, pp. 559.
13. Skolnikoff E. B. The elusive transformation: science, technology, and the evolution of international politics. Princeton University Press, 1994. 336 p.
14. Smith M., Marx L. Does technology drive history. The dilemma of technological determinism. MIT Press, 1994. 298 p.
15. Toffler A. Powershift: Knowledge, Wealth, and Violence in the 21st Century. N.Y.: Bantam Books, 1990. 640 r.
16. Waltz K. N. Theory of international politics. Waveland Press, 2010. 251 p.
17. Wolbring G. Why NBIC? Why human performance enhancement? Innovation: The European journal of social science research. 2008, no. 1, pp. 25-40.