The article examines the current state of and prospects for cooperation of the Russian-Bahraini relationship in the context of the formation of a regional security system. The author analyzes the bilateral agenda between Moscow and Manama in the broad context of the legacy of the USSR in the region, the wide-ranging course of the Russian Federation towards the Middle East in general and the states of the Persian Gulf in particular. Also, the study takes into account the factor of other extra-regional presence in this subsystem, special attention in this context is paid to the role of the United States.
As a result of the analysis, the author formulated his own characteristic of the general trends of Russian policy towards the countries of the Persian Gulf. At the same time, relations with Bahrain were considered in the framework of several “baskets” - the most relevant problems for both states, whose influence could be extrapolated from the bilateral agenda to regional and subregional security issues. To such “baskets” the author included problems: Arab-Persian contradictions, terrorism and extremism, Shia-Sunni confrontation, interstate relations in the format of the Cooperation Council for the Arab States of the Gulf. The subject of the study was concentrated on the compatibility of Russian and Bahraini positions on these issues in the context of the formation of a regional security system.
Key words: Russian-Bahraini relations, regional security, GCC, terrorism, conflicts, Arab-Persian confrontation, foreign policy contradictions, cooperation, Riyadh, national interests.
1. Bogaturov A.D., Kosolapov N.A., Khrustalev M.A. Ocherki teorii i politicheskogo analiza mezhdunarodnykh otnoshenii [Essays on the theory and political analysis of international relations]. Moscow, NOFMO Publ., 2002. 384 p. (In Russian)
2. Isaev V.A., Fshonik A.O. Korolevstvo Bakhrein: opyt razvitiia v usloviiakh izmeneniia resursnoi organizatsii [Kingdom of Bahrain: experience of development in the conditions of changing the resource organization]. Moscow, Institut Blizhnego Vostoka Publ., 2006. 292 p. (In Russian)
3. Khrustalev M.A. Analiz mezhdunarodnykh situatsii i politicheskaia ekspertiza: ocherki teorii i metodologii [Analysis of international situations and political expertise: essays on theory and methodology]. Moscow, NOFMO Publ., 2008. 232 p. (In Russian)
4. Bruck N. Decision-Making as an Approach to the Study of International Politics / H. Bruck. B. Sapin. R. Snyder. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1954. 120 p.
5. Doran M.S. and Shaikh S. Bahrain: Island of Troubles // The Arab Awakening. Washington DC: Brookings Institution Press, 2011. Pp. 188-195.
6. Fisher R., Ury W. Getting to YES. Negotiating Agreement without Giving in. 2d ed. Boston, New York: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1991. 110 p.
7. Henderson S. Bahrain Boling: Welcome to the Arab Revolt That Failed //Foreign Policy, 23.09.2011.
8. Mahan A. The Persian Gulf and interOpen Library. URL: https://openlibrary.org/books/OL18595166M/The_Persian_Gulf_and_international_relations (data obrashcheniia: 26.01.2017).
9. Mearsheimer J., Walt St. The Case of Offshore Balancing. A Superior US Grand Strategy // Revue internationale et stratégique. 2017/1. No 105. Pp. 70-84.
10. Melkumyan E. A Political History of Relations between Russian and the Gulf States. Research Paper. Arab Center for Research and Policy Studies, December 2015. 18 p.
11. Ottway M. Bahrain: Between the US and Saudi Arabia. Washington DC: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, 04.04.2011. [Elektronnyi resurs]. URL: http://www.carnegieendowment.org/2011/04/04/bahrain-between-united-states-and-saudi-arabia/t8 (data obrashcheniia: 26.01.2017).
12. Rebuilding Security in the Persian Gulf [Elektronnyĭ resurs]. // The Middle East Institute. URL: http://www.mei.edu/events/rebuilding-security-persian-gulf (data obrashcheniia: 26.01.2017)
13. Regional Challenges, Threats, And Opportunities: The Middle East [Elektronnyĭ resurs]. // The Brookings Institution. URL: https://www.brookings.edu/courses/regional-challenges-threats-and-opportunities-the-middle-east/ (data obrashcheniia: 26.01.2017).
14. Rousseau R. Saudi Arabia And Iran: Opposite Poles In The Persian Gulf. New York: NBM Publishing, 2012. 339 p.
15. ‘Schizophrenic’ US foreign policy pushing Arab states toward Russia, Bahrain warns // The Telegraph [Elektronnyĭ resurs]. URL: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/10504011/Schizophrenic-US-foreign-policy-pushing-Arab-states-toward-Russia-Bahrain-warns.html (data obrashcheniia: 26.01.2017).
16. Stability and Instability in the Gulf Region in 2016 [Elektronnyĭ resurs]. // Centre for Strategic & International Studies. URL: https://www.csis.org/analysis/stability-and-instability-gulf-region-2016 (data obrashcheniia: 26.01.2017)
17. Wehrey F. The Precarious Ally: Bahrain’s Impasse and US Policy. London: Chatham House, February 2013. 38 p.