Professor of Russian and European Politics at University of Kent
Prof. Sakwa joined the School in 1987, was promoted to a professorship in 1996 and was Head of School between 2001 and 2007, and in 2010 he once again took over as Head of School until 2014. While completing his doctorate on Moscow politics during the Civil War (1918-21) he spent a year on a British Council scholarship at Moscow State University (1979-80), and then worked for two years in Moscow in the 'Mir' Science and Technology Publishing House. Before moving to Kent he lectured at the University of Essex and the University of California, Santa Cruz. Prof. Sakwa is an Associate Fellow of the Russia and Eurasia Programme at the Royal Institute of International Affairs, Chatham House, and since September 2002 a member of Academy of Learned Societies for the Social Sciences.
- - Sakwa, R. (2010). The Crisis of Russian Democracy. [Online]. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- - Sakwa, R. (2009). The Quality of Freedom: Putin, Khodorkovsky and the Yukos Affair. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- - Sakwa, R. (2008). Putin: Russia's Choice. London and New York: Routledge.
- - Sakwa, R. (2008). Russian Politics and Society 4th revised edition. London & New York: Routledge.
- - Sakwa, R. ed. (2009). Power and Policy in Putin's Russia. London and New York: Routledge.